Saturday, February 26, 2011

After the Shoot

The funny thing about making a movie is that getting it written, financed, and shot is only half the battle. These are probably the biggest obstacles people have in their mind about making a movie, but in reality, it's what comes next that determines whether a film lives or dies.

Concept image from Brickwalk Cafe 2: The Death of a Film


Unfortunately, this is where my talent and my interest mostly ends. The next day when we returned the gear (thanks again to Ryan Chambers who went way above and beyond his call of duty), on the drive home I was itching to start shooting a new one. Though my feelings were positive, I was ready to put Brickwalk behind me. That, sadly, is not how it works.

The next month or so, not much got done. Nobody involved wanted to think about it for the time being, and we hadn't hung out socially without having tons of work to do for quite some time. Some of my awesome friends managed to throw me a surprise wrap party which was a classy move on their part because I had completely neglected to put one of those together. I think that should have been my job. Whoops. But beyond that, our brains melted into a sort of gelatinous goo that quivered at the thought of the task ahead of us.

Pictured


Finally, we realized that we would have to finish this thing at some point, so Brian Nenno mounted the work-day-job-then-edit-all-night horse and rode off into the sunset.

I couldn't find a picture of one of those, so here's a fruitcake


Kevin and I ended up having to step in at certain points where Brian's actual job had to take precedence. Something about "they pay me so I can support my wife and eat food." I'm not sure I buy it.

We managed to eek out a rough cut by the Sundance late deadline...barely. It wasn't color corrected, the audio was a mess, but it happened. But, dear readers, even this doesn't begin to encompass the work that must be done after a movie is shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment